Surrogacy, or hire a womb, is a well-defined method of Artificial Reproductive Techniques. The term surrogacy is used when another woman carries the pregnancy for the intended parents as the intended/genetic mother herself is not medically capable of carrying her pregnancy in her own uterus. The surrogate gives birth to a child for another couple with the intention of handing the child back to the intended/genetic parents after the child birth. Genetically the child belongs to the intended parents only as sperms & ova of intended parents are used to form the embryos which are then transferred into the uterus of the surrogate.
- Altruistic Surrogacy – Under Altruistic Surrogacy, the surrogate agrees to become the surrogate for another woman on compassionate and emotional grounds. This surrogate could be the sister, mother, relative or a close friend of the couple. In the year 1999, the first case in the World where in " A Grand Mother delivered her own Grand Daughter" happened at Jain Fertility & Mother Care Hospital (JFMCH) at Jaipur by Dr Gunjan Jain. This was the case of altruistic surrogacy. Here the intended mother lost her uterus in her previous child birth due to excessive bleeding and pre-mature child also did not survive. The mother of this intended mother agreed to become the surrogate for her daughter.
- Commercial Surrogacy – Here, the surrogate agrees to carry the baby of another couple in return for some financial remuneration. This is the most common form of surrogacy prevalent.
If the intended mother has no ovaries or has undergone pre-mature ovarian failure, then a donor egg is used with the sperms of the intended father to form an embryo. This embryo is then implanted into the uterus of surrogate. Similarly, if the intended father is azoospermia, then donor sperms are used to fertilize the egg of the intended mother. This embryo is then implanted into the uterus of the surrogate
- For woman with functional ovaries but had no uterus due to hysterectomy.
- For woman with functional ovaries but congenital absence of uterus (Mullerian Agenesis), fragmented uterine lining or other parts of the genital tract.
- For women with malformed uterus like unicornuate uterus, T-shaped uterus or damaged uterus due to tuberculosis of the endometrium or severe Asherman's Syndrome.
- For women suffering from such health conditions which makes pregnancy dangerous or she may not be able to carry the baby to term due to high risk of rupture of uterus.
- For women with repeated abortions or repeated failed IVF cycles.
- For women who suffer from medical disorders like diabetes, high blood pressure, cardio-vascular problems or kidney malfunction where continuing pregnancy is a risk to life.
- For women with Rh factor incompatibility.
Once it is decided that you need a surrogate, you can make a booking with us. We will arrange your meeting with the surrogate.
- Once you approve of the surrogate, the treatment will start after the signing off of legal documents.
- The treatment will include bringing the cycles of the surrogate and the genetic mother together so that the surrogate is ready for receiving the embryo (Embry Transfer) two or three days after the ovum pick-up.
- We generally like to transfer fresh embryos but in some cases, need based frozen embryo transfer is done.