It is a general practice to counsel the patient for more than one attempt of IVF before initiating the treatment. It is not because of the uncertainty of the outcome but because of the fact that multiple factors are involved for the final outcome, be it positive or negative. Therefore, when IVF fails to give a positive pregnancy test, it is important for a couple to understand that it is usually not possible to pinpoint one reason for the failure. When IVF is repeated for the another time, the outcome of this cycle is not influenced by the failure of the previous cycle. Every attempt has the same success rate. Failure of IVF is emotionally wrecking. So a good understanding of the success that is expected for the couple undergoing IVF helps to overcome the trauma associated with failures. In case very poor success is expected in a particular couple due to advance age, poor quality eggs or embryos, severe uterine abnormalities causing repeated implantation failures, donor eggs and /or surrogacy may be considered.
What should the couple do to improve the IVF success rate?
- Keep a positive attitude. It has been observed that patients who do not bother their conscious mind with the fear of a negative result often tend to do better.
- A good balanced diet is always recommended.
- Diets low in salts are said to have a better implantation rate in IVF.
- In case of an obese patient reduction in weight is an important step in increasing their success rate.
- Control of diabetes, thyroid disorders and other endocrine abnormalities should be attained before taking the next chance.
- A good counselling session before taking the next IVF helps to understand the treatment plan and outcome and thus helps in having a positive attitude towards the treatment cycle.